Vietnam: Hoa Binh province, Da Bac district, Doan Ket, Vay Nua and Tien Phong communes
- Inadequate teachers’ capability/ Language barrier for Dao children group
- Parents lack of knowledge/skills on child care and education
- Poor condition of pre-school infrastructure and facilities/ Poor hygienic condition
- High prevalence of malnutrition among children below 6 years old (18% underweight, and 23.8% stunting)
- Livelihood: very high poverty rate at 33.96%; livelihood based mainly on maize culture, livestock raising and aquaculture with low productivity, and facing a number of difficulties such as shortage of farm land, water, production technique and capital, lack of market for their products, etc. Such difficulties of livelihood makes a vicious cycle of poverty, people do not know how to escape from poverty, improve living conditions and enhance the quality of care and educate children.
Tri-partnership model: school/family/community based approached in ECCE
Improve child development and the quality of education for children from 3-8 years old
1,247 children from 0-8 years old, 96 preschool teachers/educational managers, cooks and staff, 1,344 parents, 44 local authorities. Final beneficiaries total of 5,150 community members.
Improve learning environment through infrastructure renovation/equipment and extra-courses/activities to improve children learning abilities/performance and enhance capacity for teachers through trainings on child care, child health and nutrition, active learning/teaching.
Improve the nutritional status of children through improving knowledge/skill for parents, community members and local authorities on child care and education and improving families’ livelihood.
- Change of community and local authority in practice and policy in improvement for educating and caring ethnic minority children.
School infrastructure and facilities for better learning environment improved.
Children learning abilities and performance through different extra-activities improved.
Teacher capacity for better learning/teaching quality improved with focus on practical aspect rather than theory.
Parents and community capacity improved in the support of child education and development.
- Increased families’ income and children nutrition through improving livelihoods.
- Raised awareness on the importance of education among in the communities and advocate for policy change in improving the studying condition for ethnic minority children.
Da Bac district People Committee
Nguyen Thi Tu, Country Program Coordinator